Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cocktails & Dreams

Time flies when you are having fun. Time also flies when you are constantly working under deadline, doing streeters in the freezing cold, and losing sleep over the fear of auto-failing. As the first semester of CreComm is coming to a close, I cannot help but reflect on what has been an incredible and challenging few months, it's been a true learning experience. I not only have a basic knowledge of the CreComm areas of study, but I can see myself becoming a better writer, and most surprisingly in this short period of time, I have learnt so much about myself. I guess you discover all that you are capable of when put under extreme pressure.

Everyone I talk to from back “home” (Cayman) is surprised at how much I am enjoying the whole student experience. I guess they thought I would have called it quits and come back to the island after my first F (for not capitalizing blue bomber) in journalism, or at least after the first day the temperature dropped to -20˚. I can’t blame them…I thought so too.

I remember the Public Relations class when started blogging. I decided on the Cocktails & Dreams portion of the title as a reference to the 80’s movie Cocktail. I thought there were some similarities in the movie to my life, as Tom Cruise spent a few years bartending in the Caribbean to make some coin before coming back home to pursue his dreams. I didn’t meet a sugar-daddy while on-island or knock-up Elizabeth Shue, and my dream was pursuring a creative career...but still. The youngin’ sitting next to me looked over at my screen and asked, “What’s with your title? Cocktails and Dreams? I don’t get it….” I guess it may be a little before his time.

Chap-man, this stellar video clip of one of the greatest bartending movies of all time is for you! Your star-burns and yellow sweater have made this first semester of CreComm sunnier ;)

Bloggers, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more cocktails & dreams.



Here is the recipe for a Red-Eye, the hangover-cure that Doug Coughlin (played by Aussie Bryan Brown) taught a young Cruise at the start of his bartending career.

-1 can/bottle beer
-1/2 cup of tomato juice (refrigerated)
-1 egg

-Pour tomato juice into a frosted beer glass, over the tomato juice, pour in cold beer. Crack the egg and add contents into glass. Do NOT stir.

Happy holiday hangovers!

1 comment:

  1. :O! What's Cocktail? I'm shocked and appalled by the lack of cultural education of said youngin' ;)

    Excited that we're in the same class next semester! Looking forward to getting to know you better. :) Hopefully see you at the After School Special tonight. Have a good Christmas break! :)

    ReplyDelete