Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm A Slave 4 U


This weekend, I had the rare opportunity (as a person working in the hospitality industry) to enjoy a long weekend at the lake, or at least part thereof. It was fantastic. Up until my white Black Berry was accidentally run over. For those who know me well, this is no surprise. Stuff like this always happens to me.

While mourning the loss of my "white berry" that I had become so attached to over the years, I have been living sans-phone. Although extremely frustrating for the first 36 hours, I have now have grown a liking to being out of touch.

Here are my top reasons for loving life without a smart phone (only for the moment, of course!)

The Art of Conversation: Remember the good ol' days before lol, wtf, and bff?? When you actually had to make a phone call (and know their number) to find out how someone was doing and to make plans?? With no smart phone facilitating communication through text and fb, I am learning numbers by heart, making phone calls, and in a 5 minute conversation, actually getting caught up with someone rather than hours of back and fourth messaging.

No constant checking of your phone or ghost-rings: You swear you just felt your phone vibrate, when in fact no messages are waiting for you once you finally dig your phone from the depths of your bag. No phone=no disappointment.

No texting those you shouldn't be: After seeing an Icon preform songs that bring you back to a more promiscuous time, temptation to send an "innocent" text to an ex arises. Without your precious phone harbouring his number at bay, contact becomes impossible. It's a God-send, really.

-Getting lost in a good book: With no "be-beep"s breaking your concentration, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get caught up in a great book. Since the incident, I have finished two AMAZING books: Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me (Chelsea Handler) & Bossy Pants (Tina Fey.) I definitely recommend turning your smart phone off for an afternoon and sink your teeth into either of these book by incredibly hilarious women.



-Lastly, you're FREE!! I am sorry to my friends that I am a hard person to get a hold of at the moment. But, I cannot be tracked down, and once I am out, I am over and out! There is something so freeing about knowing that no one can get a hold of you. It feels like a simpler time. That being said, it may prove difficult to make plans or find each other when we get separated at a busy bar. But, when you are with me you will have my full and undivided attention. Without being a slave for technology, I am all yours!


Blackberry, I am A Slave to you no more!!

Of course, without the distraction of a smart phone, I need to keep things interesting. That's where cocktails come in. Give this killer white sangria recipe a try and shake things up a bit. Even if you aren't going to get rid of that damned smart phone!


Triple B Sangria (Makes 1 Pitcher)

•1 Bottle fruity white wine (Pinot Grigio or Riesling)
•2 cups white cranberry juice (regular, peach, or strawberry)
•Juice from 1 lime
•1 cup of fruit: Strawberries, peaches, and/or blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Combine all liquids into a pitcher half full with ice and stir. Pour servings into wine glasses with ice and add fruit. Cheers to summer time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment